Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lehi's Discourse

Kurt has written a retorical analysis about Lehi's Discourse in 2 Nephi 2. Kurt explains how Lehi uses Logos in his speech. I would like to discuss how he uses Pathos. In the beginning of the Chapter one sees that Lehi is speaking to his son Jacob. He starts out be telling him a few things that has happened in Jacob's life and how it has helped him. Verses one and two reads, "And now, Jacob, I speak unto you: Thou art my first-born in the days of my tribulation in the wilderness. And behold, in thy childhood thou hast suffered afflictions and much sorrow... Jacob, my first-born in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain". First-born can mean that one receives special rights or privledges. He tells Jacob basically that he knows it has been had for him, dealing with his brothers in the wilderness. He then states that it will be for his good. So that it will help him. He is trying to appeal to his emotions, which Lehi successfully achieves or so it seems to be that way. His son lived a righteous life. Jacob already knows that life is hard and that he is the first-born, but Lehi restates it and explains to him how good he is.

In verse three it states, "Wherefore, thy soul shall be blessed, and thou shalt dwell safely with thy brother, Nephi; and thy days shall be spent in the service of thy God. Wherefore, I know that thou art redeemed, because of the righteousness of thy Redeemer". He tells him he will be safe with his brother Nephi, who is a very righteous son of Lehi, who has been a leader for Jacob, as he was growing up. He tells Jacob that he knows that he will be redeemed through the Lord Jesus Christ. If I were Jacob I would feel special and want to listen to my father Lehi because he is declaring how good of a person I am.
Kurt explains basically the rest in his analysis to this great discourse. He explains the Logos, which Lehi used after he had used Pathos to reach his son.

3 comments:

  1. reads/read

    Cool thought on the connotations of "first-born" in this cultural context. I will probably steal that thought from you. Nice!

    Try to avoid restating/summarizing after the quotes and get straight to the analysis instead. For another audience, it would be good to restate as you're doing, but I'm used to reading scriptures, so I don't need the extra explanation. And I feel like I need more detailed reasons for why this is pathos and not, say, ethos--which has to do with the kind of trust established between speaker and listener or writer and reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this post. I think it was really effective when you said, "If I were Jacob" because that leaves other people to make their own opinions which will probably be similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed it around but I wasn't too sure how I could make the restating stuff smaller... and I dont think I restated a lot of the stuff kurt said.

    ReplyDelete